A cryptocurrency is a medium of exchange like normal currencies such as USD, but designed for the purpose of exchanging digital information. Cryptocurrency is defined by Investopedia.com as a decentralized “digital or virtual currency that uses cryptography for security” making it difficult to counterfeit. Since it is not issued by a central authority, governments can’t take it away from you.
Over the last couple of years, digital currency has been rapidly gaining the public eye. Here are some good reasons behind it.
• Fraud-proof: When cryptocurrency is created, all confirmed transactions are stored in a public ledger. All identities of coin owners are encrypted to ensure the legitimacy of record keeping. Because the currency is decentralized, you own it. Neither government nor bank has any control over it.
• Identity Theft: The ledger ensures that all transactions between “digital wallets” can calculate an accurate balance. All transactions are checked to make sure that the coins used are owned by the current spender. This public ledger is also referred to as a “transaction blockchain”. Blockachain technology ensures secure digital transactions through encryption and “smart contracts” that make the entity virtually unhackable and void of fraud. With security like this, blockchain technology is poised to impact nearly every segment of our lives.
• Instant Settlement: Blockchain is the reason why cryptocurrency has any value. Ease of use is the reason why cryptocurrency is in high demand. All you need is a smart device, an internet connection and instantly you become your own bank making payments and money transfers.
• Accessible: There are over two billion people with access to the Internet who don’t have rights to use to traditional exchange systems. These individuals are clued-in for the cryptocurrency market.
• You are the owner: There is no other electronic cash system in which your account is owned by you.